The Bobcats are recruiting 6-7 230lb Matt Qualls of Tahlequah high school in Oklahoma. I knew the Bobcat’s were recruiting Matt last fall but given the way his senior season was going I was figuring that he may be getting some looks from mid majors this spring. I have just heard that he has narrowed his list Montana State, Northern Arizona, and Stephen F. Austin. Matt is a coach’s son and as I understand it now, his father want him signing a letter of intent until the late period. Matt just finished up his senior season with eye popping 23.5 points, 14 rebounds, 3.5 blocks, 2 assist and 2 steals a game while shooting 68% from the field.
Some of his highlights:
- His points, rebounding and blocks were top in Oklahoma this year.
- Quallis was a model of consistency shooting under 50% in only 3 games this winter (45%, 44% and 33% games).
- He went perfect from the field twice (12 for 12 both games) this season, had some huge games scoring 38 points in two games.
- He pulled down 11 or more rebounds in every game this season.
- Averaged a double-double in all four of his high school seasons
- High school career totals of 2,123 points and 1,291 rebounds.
- 5A MVP, State tourney all star team, Oklahoma All-State first team.
As I said before Quall is a coach’s son, and is best described as an old school post player. A beast inside, he has great fundamentals, and a very high basketball IQ. He takes what the defense gives him. He can post you up inside and power over, or take it out to about 12-15 feet. He is a power player who does not mind getting physical, and will not be shooting 3 pointers. When tripled team he can hit the open man. He runs the floor well, great hands, and a decent athlete. I think he could make an impact in the Big Sky as a freshman.