I could not wait until Monday, this was getting too long.
- This week end there is a huge basketball AAU tournament in Las Vegas. Actually it is not a single tourney but a group at least three (each sponsored by a shoe company) all scheduled for the same days to Give coaches the Max bang for their travel buck. Additionally there are at least 3 different age groups and they cover both boy’s and girls. Just about every Gym in Las Vegas is being used this week end and there are thousands of basketball players in Vegas. From what I have heard, both MSU and UM have two coaches in Las Vegas, and I believe Binford’s Staff had at least one coach also in Vegas. I have to imagine Selvig had someone down there but I can not confirm.
- I have been told that Huse was in Vegas Thursday at the Adidas Super 64 Tourney to watch Minnesota Comets and their star Taylor Filipek. Also joining Huse to scout Filipek were, South Dakota, Eastern Kentucky, Arkansas-Little Rock, Pacific, and UTEP. Filipek is a 6-7 combo forward much in the mold Bobby Howard. I am also told that the Cats may also be looking at a couple of the Comets big men, but I have not confirmed this or who.
- A little more info on Josh Huestis. The Arizona State Rivals site has apparently fallen in love with Josh as they have been mentioning him quite a bit this past week as a major target of ASU. Here is one quote:
The Sun Devils will also likely be taking a serious look at Josh Huestis, a 6-foot-7 forward from Montana who played well in several Los Angeles-area events during the first 10-day evaluation window, and reportedly picked up scholarship offers form Pepperdine, San Francisco and USC.
Additionally Dave Telep National Recruiting Director for Scout.com finally got to see Josh in Las Vegas and had the following comments about Josh.
Josh Heustis, SF, Belmont Shore: He played last season in Great Falls, Montana, so he’s not been baptized into the mainstream yet. Nice looking athlete, big time student. Slowly beginning to receive offers.
- It appears that the Cat’s are still very interested in 5-9 point guard Travon Abraham as he recently named Lehigh, Sacramento State, Montana State and Portland as being his top four, with Portland State, Rice, St. Mary’s and Long Beach State also showing some interest. Abraham has been playing for quite a few AAU teams this spring and summer including his main stay the Bay Area Hoosiers.
- I think, though, Abraham is the only member of the Bay Area Hoosiers that the Grizzlies are not recruiting. As I have reported this summer the Griz are showing a lot of interest in most of the D-1 prospects on that team including guard Thomas Frye, forward John Green, forward Will Davis and forward Steve McLellan among others.
- There was an article a week or so on Grizzly recruit Marcus Tibbs, which looked into his recruiting and where he is going to go to school. The article said that the Grizzlies have petitioned the NCAA to have Marcus declared eligible for next year. I was under the impression that it is actually the student athlete who must petition the NCAA not the school so I found this a little interesting. The article also said that if Tibbs does have to go the JC route he has decided against attending Northern Idaho and will instead attend Bellevue JC closer to home. Since then a friend has told me it does not appear the petition was granted, and Tibbs will be heading to Bellevue.
- Ben Mills a 7-1 forward center from Wisconsin has once again been mentioning Montana State as a possible destination. Recently on Rivals he listed Ball State, Indiana St., Loyola Chicago, Wisconsin-Milw., Montana St., Utah State, Weber State, Florida Gulf Coast U., North Dakota, and North Dakota State. I was surprised by this. Mills recruiting has been talking since this winter, and from what I was hearing I expected him to beyond a Big Sky school reach by now.
- Finally, what would one of my Odds and Ends post be with out another Joseph Maxey mention. One again there was another article on Maxey in Scout.com this past week where they once again mentioned that he is hoping for an offer from MSU.